Calypso Caribbean Fiesta Band is a 2 to 6 piece stage or roving Brisbane based group since 1986. An infamous international roving / strolling / walk about /specialty act. Dressed in Coconut shirts / Panama hats, playing Trombone, Trumpet, Keys, steel timbale drums, & congas, be ready for the hottest, energetic Calypso band in Qld, Australia.
They have toured 23+ times to Japan, China, Taiwan & Pacific Islands, & have performed at every festival, Ag show, Race track, & shopping mall from Roma to Port Douglas, Chinchilla to Melbourne & back again.
Corporate or private, stage or Roving, quiet or blasting, street or stage, busking or poolside, they are expert performers of English Calypso, Ska & Soca styles, and French Creole Zouk, as well as Spanish Latin Caribbean styles of Plena, Bomba, Salsa, Mambo, Cha Cha, & Carnival Comparsa, just to mention a few.
Old Harry Bellefonte favourites; Maryann, Day Oh, banana & coconut songs, as well as modern Soca Hot hot hot, will be served with flavour. Limbo completions, dancing girls, conga lines, dance lessons, may be on the program as well. So let’s dance & party with Calypso Caribbean Fiesta Band.
History of Calypso, Ska, & Soca, Caribbean music
In 1800’s Spanish settlers and African plantation workers + Arawak Indians controlled by the Roman Catholic priesthood, were joined by large numbers, of white & non-slave French Creoles from Saint Vincent, Grenada, Dominica and Martinique, before Trinidad and Tobago were taken by the British.
Calypso was popularized after the abolition of slavery and the ensuing growth of the Carnival festivals in the 1830s. Highly rhythmic and harmonic vocals characterized the music, which was most often sung in a French creole . Later English Calypso, Jamakan ska, Reggae & Indian influences [Chutney Music] modernized with American soul, disco, funk & Zouk music in early 1980s evolved. Since 1980’s brass bands began to dominate the Carnival & had long been a part of Trinidad’s cultural heritage. Then came international Sparrow SOCA chart-topper “Hot! Hot! Hot!”
(1) Roving / Strolling Calypso “Band on Wheels” (Australia/ China / Japan) : www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzfZrK5guts
(2) Roving / Strolling Caribbean Pirates (Taiwan 07) : www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzmwTiJkXHY
(3) Stage Latin Cabaret/dance Band China & Japan & OZ : www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ADYmgQNv-Y
(4) 2001 roving video Japan : www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0vO3tbItUc
(5) 2013 Mexican duo Fifi & Joules : www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzmwTiJkXHY
(6) MOST RECENT! 2013 Qld Garden Expo – Parade Band : www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG3bQimIw0s&feature=youtu.be
(7) MOST RECENT! Mexican Mariachi / Brisbane Broncos : www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tjgwm1qL3g
(8) MOST RECENT! Mexican Mariachi TROPICAL Party/ Brisbane River : www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipOU4xatVEU